html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> Joe's Blawg: A Week of Worldliness and Politics

Joe's Blawg

Nothin' special here. Just ordinary "blawg" conversation from a typical college student striving to glorify Christ with every minute of his life.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

A Week of Worldliness and Politics

This post is for everyone out there who has debated, or seen me debate politics, and viewed me as more of a Liberal than a Moderate.

So I believe my last post explained what happened at my Grandfather's funeral. Well I'd like to speak a little more about my family and my altercations with them as I spent time with them over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Basically a lot of my family on that side of the family, have been very worldly. My cousin was arrested and (as I found out from his younger brother that weekend) the charge against him was "vehicular manslaughter." Also I have an uncle and an aunt (both siblings, and son and daughter of my late Grandfather who's funeral we were all in town for) who seem to live very worldly lives sometimes. I believe it was Tuesday evening that I got into a little debate with them over the usual, politics and faith. Them, both being hard-nosed liberals, put me in the conservative seat on this debate for the most part, which got it focusing more on religion, because that is where I have a most conservative view on things. And of course the discuss just had to lead to the issue of "legalization of marujuana." Now my uncle voted for Nader in 2000, and guess why? Yes, I shamefully admit that my uncle smokes weed on occassions. And he has really done his research too, because he gave me every argument in the world for why marujuana should be legal in America. He basically has me convinced that marujuana is safer than cigarettes and alcohol (not that this really convinces me it should be legal, but convinces me more into thinking that cigarettes should be illegal too). The only thing that was really difficult about this, was to explain to him why I disagreed, and why I thought marujuana should remain illegal, because to be honest, I dont know all my facts on the particular issue. Personally I dont think I did a very good job of debating with him, but what hurt was what he was saying just a couple days later.

We were playing cards late at night (around 2-3am) a couple nights later, and of course the same issue comes up again. This time my uncle was more frustrated because I had just beaten him in Rook 3 times in a row, and when I win, I am rather open about it. I actually struggle not to act braggy quite a bit. But anyway, he goes so far as to pretty much encourage me to try weed. Me and my partner after a hand of Rook, have a score of 420, and yes he had to make a smart comment about "wow, first time ever Joe scores a 4:20" (for those who dont know what 4:20 is, count your blessings).

So after this night, I have questioned myself about whether I ever want to see this particular uncle of mine again? None of my efforts to influence him of a more Christ-like behavior have been successful, and its very discouraging to continue speaking to him about all this. I even told my parents once we got back home, about what he said, and they were both very upset with him about it. Most of my behavior after this Thanksgiving trip seemed to be a lot more worldly for awhile, until I heard a good and encouraging sermon from Brother Warren on Sunday about Sin, and how we should flee from it. It also lifted me back up a great deal, to hear Brother Isaac Guess's study Wed. night on some of Hannah's Prayer in the book of Samuel. It also felt good to see some of my P.B. friends again, and to speak to them face-to-face.

So through all this that happened over the past week, being able to speak to people on the other side of the political spectrum, than who I speak with on the TROG forum or in person when I have political debates with most of you conservative blog readers, what would yall say, am I a liberal, or a moderate?

God Bless,
Joe

comments

7 Comments:

At December 04, 2005 9:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I would say that you shouldn't worry yourself about your uncle or any of the rest of your family under the same banner. I have family members the same way and through many heated discussions over evolution, why you should you go to church, all of these things. And all have been failures. And I just came to the conclusion that there is nothing that I can do about the situation but pray about it. Becuase there really isn't anything you can do. Only God can change somebody's heart. So don't worry about it.
You are being loyal to the most important person... God.

Also just as a note..marijuana is not safer than cigerretes. The resin in marijuana is about 5 times as potent as the tar in a cigerette.

Just to clarify in case you were believing the stuff he was handing you.

 
At December 04, 2005 10:12 PM, Blogger Nomos said...

I may point out that opposing marijuana doesn't make you a moderate - it makes you a moral liberal.

 
At December 04, 2005 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liberal. You're family members are just hyper-libs.

 
At December 04, 2005 11:32 PM, Blogger joe4444 said...

John- yea I love Rook. I might bring a deck of Rook cards to the GC meeting at the end of the year, and see if we can rack up a game. I must warn you though if your thinking of playing on my team, I love to play on a team where I can take the bid everytime, and of course I'm the guy that will not have the Rook or any of the 1's, and with no more than 4 of any suit, and then bid a 135 and make the bid easily.

Adam- Amen, prayer is all I can do. I sometimes feel that God wants me to continue to try to encourage them, but its hard to tell if that is really his will for me, but thanks so much for your encouragement. I really appreciate it as well as your prayers for me and my family for all sorts of reasons during the hard times we've all experienced recently. Also, once I finish exams, I will try to do some research on what you said about marijuana. Thanks and God bless.

Ryan- we had more debates than just the marijuana issue. thats just the only one I spoke about because it had the most impact. If I went into detail about every single political debate we had, it'd take you hours, if not days, to read my blog. But trust me I am much more Moderate than you give me credit for.

Matt- dude you can at least reveal your identity.

 
At December 05, 2005 12:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Lol. Matt who?

And how funny that you answered everybody's in one post. HOORAH FOR YOU!

And I just don't know about this whole..playing cards at a church meeting...John rogers you shoudl be ashamed of yourself!

(juuuust kidding)

 
At December 07, 2005 10:57 PM, Blogger Nomos said...

For a while, I sort of weighed the ethics of attacking you on your own blog, but I at last decided...

The term "liberal," is relative, depending on who you are contrasting yourself to. If, for instance, you contrasted yourself to me, you would be liberal. If, however, you contrasted yourself to the extreme liberals of your family, you would be considered moderate, or conservative.

Therefore, if you are asking us whether you are moderate or not, I'd say most definitely NO. Your views on everything except clear cut moral issues like abortion and homosexuality are skewed toward the left.

Forgive me for saying that your position against murder and sodomy is not "conservative," but common sense. That conservatives generally defend these common sense issues should give you a hint as to which side you need to vote for.

Lastly, I think I would say that you are more moderate than many of your wacked out party. As a whole, though, to be moderate is to be a leftist...you just aren't as leftist as some others. Big Kudos!

 
At December 12, 2005 8:21 PM, Blogger polemic turtle said...

I think you've got the right attitude if you're asking us what we think of you.

Pro 1:5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:

I believe it was either a Puritan or someone like that that recommended that you ask a friend or, perhaps, even an enemy to critique you, for your own instruction as to your faults! How terrible that sounds! ..but, I suppose it'd work. :-|

 

Post a Comment

<< Home