html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> Joe's Blawg: Its harder than it looks...

Joe's Blawg

Nothin' special here. Just ordinary "blawg" conversation from a typical college student striving to glorify Christ with every minute of his life.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Its harder than it looks...


That would be Congregational Song Leading. Something in which I've taken a great deal of interest over the past couple years. Something that I always seem to want to do every chance I get, ever since I completed my first singing school last June. But theres one little problem.

Not knowing every doe-ray-me, not being able to confidentially start a song without a soft & modest voice, not being able to keep consistent beat, and not knowing most of the songs usually called upon can make performing this task rather difficult. It was so easy back at Harmony Hill, just hold your hand up and start, you don't even have to let a sound out of your mouth to start the song, and plus people are always messing up there because its singing school, and everyone is there to learn. You also get to pick your own song at Harmony Hill. So why bother leading congregational singing? And after all, I don't have to do it. Everyone in the congregation would be just fine if I just asked another one of those talented singers to come up. No big deal, right?

Well, what about God? Does God say "if you can't do something to praise my name, that will also please the ears of other men, then just give up." I never can seem to find that anywhere in the scriptures. So, as embarrassed as I may be, I continue standing up there leading. And, as said back in the first paragraph, it always seems to be something I continually have a desire to do. Is that just my own personal pride, hoping that maybe this time I will do it right and hit every note? Or is that just God's glorious grace in my heart?

Now don't get me wrong on this, I think its wonderful that there are talented people out there who can sing so well and so beautifully. I praise God that Andrew B. can lead a song he is unfamiliar with. I praise God that The Promise can blend their voices together so well. I praise God that Sister Helen has taught a higher number of singing schools than most of my college test grades. Its great to see people like that with such talent, and to exercise that talent. But in the church, in front of the congregation, when they call on you to go up there and take that role, remember who you are singing to, because his name is mentioned in most of the songs.

"My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise." ~Psalms 57:7

"I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise unto thee." ~Psalms 138:1

Countdown to Graduation: 258 days

comments

6 Comments:

At March 26, 2007 11:30 PM, Blogger wam_home said...

Practice makes perfect Joe. Keep at it and keep that good attitude you have. I think God pays the most attention to the melody that we make in our hearts. But don't be afraid to kick up your volume. We do have to hear what you sing to follow along.

 
At March 28, 2007 12:31 PM, Blogger Table of Stone said...

I agree we ynot. Just keep practicing, everyone has to start somewhere.

 
At March 28, 2007 12:45 PM, Blogger Androphenese said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At March 28, 2007 12:48 PM, Blogger Androphenese said...

to me, what you said is the single most important thing to remember as a song leader. the leader's only purpose is to keep the congregation together, and thereby glorify God the best we can via our unity of song and spirit. that's it. to God be the glory, and honour, and praise!

 
At April 03, 2007 3:40 PM, Blogger Dani said...

I admire you in this. I feel self-conscience sometimes when I go to places like Jasper, because they sing with such spirit, but also so well. While my heart is in it, I am not near so gifted, or perhaps it is only that I have no polished what He has given me yet, to it's full potential.

We can sound terrible and be more pleasing to God because our heart is in the right place, than when we singing the words perfectly without the spirt. Like ynot said, don't lose that attitude and melody in your heart, and I'm sure the Lord will bless your efforts.

 
At April 09, 2007 10:21 AM, Blogger joe4444 said...

I would just like to say thank you for the kind and supportive advice and encouragement everyone offered here.

A main incentive for this post was that I had recently been asked to lead congregational singing, and had done a poor job of it, as usual. I needed the post, to remind even myself, that it doesn't matter what others think or how well I do, but how much I sing with my heart, and sing to God. It is also a blessing to have the support from my friends in my endeavors to lead congregational singing, even when I mess up. Thanks yall. ;)

God bless,
Joe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home