html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> Joe's Blawg: <span style="color: rgb(102, 0, 204);">Potentially Changing Majors</span>

Joe's Blawg

Nothin' special here. Just ordinary "blawg" conversation from a typical college student striving to glorify Christ with every minute of his life.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Potentially Changing Majors

Well, theres a young college student at the University of Memphis. This particular college student has a completion of 86 course hours (needing 90 to become a Senior), and while taking 12 this fall semester is on pace to do it. However, theres a little problem there. Despite being a Senior, this student just might still decide to change major....

So thats where the problem begins. I am stuck in this Database course in MIS, and probably going to bomb it again this semester. I may just call-it-quits with MIS altogether. Afterall, is MIS really want I want to do with my career? Plus, teaching is just one big "ego trip" for all the MIS professors (unlike any other instructor I've had in the business department).


So here are the options for alternative majors:
a, Finance
b, Marketing
c, Management
d, Just drop out of college Joe, your a loser anyway
e, Stick with MIS, even though those low grades and repeat courses will look bad on your transcript and résumé.



Pro's: I am sticking with business, so a change will only set me back 3 courses (meaning, probably no more than one semester). I'm leaning towards Marketing simply because I enjoy it most. Also, my software familiarity and Excel Certification will go well, and is a good hiring point, in a Marketing position.

Con's: The question with Marketing is "what is the job market like for Marketing majors right now?" What about Finance or Management? Finance probably has a better job market even though I can't stand to have that kind of a job, while Management is definently easier. And could I still stick it out with MIS? Afterall, MIS is what kind of fits into my résumé right now.

Anyway, if yall want to check out my résumé that I did for Business Communications, just click here: Joe's really cool and updated business résumé.

Please offer any advice you can, believe me I need it, but please don't say "pick something you like, not something that you will make a lot of money with," they told me that when I started college, and I was thinking "if I were doing something I liked, why would I even be going to college in the first place?"

Thanks yall, I need your prayers as always, and God bless.

comments

5 Comments:

At November 21, 2006 11:48 PM, Blogger Dani said...

As trite as it may sound do something you like, like the marketing or the management. Think about the fact that you are going to be doing this for the next 40, 50, or 60 years. If you hate, and I mean really hate finance then you are going to hate getting up and dragging yourself to work. Especially if you are any good of at it.

 
At November 23, 2006 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The real question is:
What do you LIKE to do?
I always enjoyed computers and finally picked computer science as my major after flopping at business, and history. You also need to realize that this is what MANY, MANY college students go through. It's just part of the trial and error process of figuring out your major. Don't let it get you upset. You are not a loser... well, not at college anyway. LOL.. just kidding.

 
At November 27, 2006 8:33 AM, Blogger Katie! said...

I know, I know, this is exactly what you told us not to say but i think its really important to pick something you like. Look at me, I'll never have a stable income with photography but I dont care! I love to do it; I love taking pictures and spending time in the darkroom and the studio. It keeps me happy :)

 
At November 28, 2006 8:25 PM, Blogger joe4444 said...

Thanks yall for the encouragement. But, to be honest, if I was choosing based on what I "want" to do and not for the money, I would not even be going to college, I'd lie around at home all day.

I really need yall's prayers right now more than ever, just with everything going on in college (not just in MIS), its becoming really discouraging for me. I'm probably going to be in college forever, if I don't flunk out, that is...

 
At November 29, 2006 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you can't pay bills sleeping on the parent's couch. You have just got to decided since you have to have a job what you enjoy. For me I have always wanted to teach, but that could be anything anywhere. I also have this passion for history, so despite the fact that I will never make any money, I wanted a way to be about to just talk about history, the things that I love. I wanted to be about to write books on my family history on our church history and to talk about our rich way of life in the South, this just enables me to get paid while doing those things.

Maybe business isn't even where you need to be. Give it lots of prayer, know that I will be praying for you too. And iffen you ever need to talk, you have my number.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home