html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> Joe's Blawg: <span style="color: rgb(204, 0, 0);">Yes my past actually existed</span>

Joe's Blawg

Nothin' special here. Just ordinary "blawg" conversation from a typical college student striving to glorify Christ with every minute of his life.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Yes my past actually existed

Ever wonder what it would be like if you were a PB that didn't have any other young people in the church, and had to go to Memphis City public schools to fulfill your educational needs? Now I'm not saying that it makes for a legitmate accomplishment or anything, but it does test one's faith to an extensive margin.

Anyway, I decided to post a few pictures from back in the Whitehaven days of my church. Back in Nov. of 2002 we (Whitehaven) decided to pack our bags and move, due to the declining ethnic environment around our church. After numerous break-ins, behind-the-church dumpings, thefts, vandalism, broken windows, etc... we decided to sell our precious 26-pew, greatly over-sized Whitehaven church building, and attempt to find land further south, below the Mississippi-Tennessee state border, in what we hope to be a safer community to locate our 15-20 member congregation. Often I think and imagine of the day when we will have a home of our own to worship and serve God in. What will it be like? Well, its been so long since we actually had a church building, I almost forgot what it was like. Here's a little reminder of some of those joyful memories I was blessed to experience at Whitehaven:

Here is our former Whitehaven church. A nice little isolated place in Southwest Memphis.

April 18, 1999: My Dad was ordained on this day as a deacon for Whitehaven. The following is a picture of the brothers that were present at my Dad's ordination service. There are five ordained preachers in this picture. I am positively sure that many of yall can name at least two of them, as those two are relatively well-known among the PBs. I would say about 60% of yall could get three of them, 20% could get four, and roughly 5-10% of my loyal blog readers I would estimate, could name all five ordained preachers that are in this picture. I will list the names of the men below, and challenge anyone who is willing, to try to name the preachers among them.

In this picture (from left-to-right): Brother Kevin Poe, Brother Joey -----, Brother Howard Case, Brother Danny Hardwick, Brother Myron Wilkenson, Brother Edwin Carter, Brother Calvin Warren, Brother Zack Guess, my Dad (Brother Dwayne Thompson), Brother Bobby Poe, Brother Howard Berry, Brother Mike Thompson, Brother Grady Camp, and Brother Jim -----.

Back when I was a wee lil' feller. As I told yall, I had no other wee lil' fellers in the church to socialize with.

O yea those Easter-egg hunts that Brother Warren always loved to have for us on Easter Sunday, its a shame we havent been able to have those since our days at Whitehaven, but they sure were fun. All the older members of our church would always bring their grandkids to church that day (the one or two times each year I had other wee lil' fellers to socialize with).

I would estimate the date of this picture to be Easter, around the year of 1992 or 1993. As yall can see I would dominate those Easter egg hunts. I tried to show Brother Warren that he raised a strong prospect for those Easter Sundays. However, soon afterwards I unfortunantely lost my touch, and was demoted to Triple-A Easter egg hunting.

Some sister's from those good ole days. I'm not sure of the date of this picture either, but it was on the same day as the previous two. The lady on the far left, Sis. Christine, was my grandmother (she was Sis. Mary's younger sister). She passed away (God rest her soul) in Feb. 2002, 3 months before I graduated HS, and 10 months before we sold our building at Whitehaven. Brother Warren and Brother Isaac Guess preached her funeral.

In this picture (from left-to-right): Sister Christine Thompson, Sister Beth Warren, Sister Mary Thompson, Sister Nina Thompson, Sister Sandra Wilkenson, and (not sure of the name or identity of the last sister).
So many people, so many faces that I haven't seen in ages, this brings back lots of good memories.
Perhaps many of yall who are unfamiliar with my church do not know about any of this and are probably bored by this post, but these pictures bring back an important, and memorable, part of my childhood. Growing up in public school, the main part of my life that built up such a strong Biblical background was the Whitehaven church. Brother Warren, who has been my pastor my entire life, has been a real blessing to helping develop me spiritually throughout these years, and its touching to look back at those pictures, and just remember the days of Whitehaven.

Vote for Harold Ford Jr. The Christian's Choice!!!

comments

6 Comments:

At September 22, 2006 12:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have some fond memories of Whitehaven days, as my husband preached there (prior to 1982) when we lived in Union City, Tennessee. In fact, my daughter joined the Primitive Baptist church at Whitehaven.

Enjoyed the pictures!
Elaine Housley

 
At September 22, 2006 3:00 AM, Blogger Dani said...

it's a good post,

don't we all think fondly on our first church and earliest memories of it.

hmmmm...

 
At September 22, 2006 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

5 ordained ministers - well I am sure the answer must be:

Elder Calvin Warren
Elder Zack Guess
Elder Bobby Poe
Elder Grady Camp
Elder Edwin Carter

 
At September 22, 2006 10:19 PM, Blogger joe4444 said...

Sister Elaine Housley- Thank you very much for your comment. Even though I do not know you personally, it is still always a pleasure to have new people comment on my blog (especially when they are PBs). My dad (Bro. Dwayne Thompson) told me that he does remember you from back when you came to the Whitehaven church, as well as your daughter who joined the church, and your husband who preached there.

I would like to also invite you to visit our church's new website. You can do so by clicking on this link: Southaven PBC Website. If you would like to get in contact with my Dad, or anyone else from the Whitehaven church, I can't give their email's out here (for security reasons) but I would gladly give you one of mine that I keep for these kind of things: joe444477@gmail.com. You can email me there, and I would be happy to help you get in contact with anyone from our church that still attends. Thank you again for your comments, and its always a blessing to remember the Whitehaven church, especially when you have someone else that can remember it with you. Have a great day, and God bless. ~Joe Thompson

Danielle- Thank you also for your comment (and I hope that the attention towards the comment before yours does not distract from the pleasure of having your comment as well).

John- I guess Anonymous is your new nickname. Anyway, Congratulations on getting all five ordained preachers correct!!!! You have won the grand prize, and that is a beautiful, brand new, state-of-the-art Harold Ford Jr. campaign sticker!!!!!!!

 
At September 26, 2006 9:02 PM, Blogger Androphenese said...

well joe that was, in truth, a very great post. i really like the picture of all the ministers and deacons. i recognized all but one or two of them.

 
At September 27, 2006 9:08 PM, Blogger Setiago said...

Joe Curtis and Jim Harrell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home