html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> Joe's Blawg: <span style="color: rgb(102, 51, 0);">Gossip, a sin of frequent practice for some PBs</span>

Joe's Blawg

Nothin' special here. Just ordinary "blawg" conversation from a typical college student striving to glorify Christ with every minute of his life.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Gossip, a sin of frequent practice for some PBs

Theres one thing in particular I've noticed about Primitive Baptists, that is that they seem to take the issues of physical romantic involvement and language very heavily, but then take issues of gossip, talking bad about someone behind their back, and pridefulness very lightly. The reason I'm finally opening up about this (which has bothered me for quite some time now) is because PB's so commonly love to share negative (and sometimes) untruthful stories among each other for the purpose of discouraging that person (who maybe a friend of the person being trashed on) from engaging in fellowship with them anymore, which is just downright cruel, and sadly I've seen it most prevelant in the PB's than anywhere else. Sharing gossip is one thing, but when someone actually has to question their reputation because of the people they talk to and hang out with, its just downright pathetic. I'm not saying every PB is like this, but just a few can ruin it for everybody. I'm not saying I'm 100% perfect about this issue too, I do sin plenty and beg of the Lord's forgiveness. But I'm not anything like some PBs who can just literally destroy the reputation and opportunity to fellowship of a newly converted PB, through gossip, just because they've found something they don't like about him/her.

By the way, yes I'm ticked off about this, and believe I have every right to be. I'd say its been about time I vent on that. (Note: this post is not aimed particularly at any of my frequent blog readers, but I think some of yall will know the particular people who I am talking about, though I ask that no names be revealed in any of my comments).

comments

8 Comments:

At August 23, 2006 1:41 AM, Blogger joe4444 said...

[friend]: sometimes I've been scared of my reputation
but
joe444477: because of me?
[friend]: to be honest yes
joe444477: why is that? do i have a bad reputation?
[friend]: some people started talking about you and [someone else]
and other things
and well someone was asking me why I was talking to you
sooo
joe444477: yea people will do that, i dont worry about it, its prideful to worry about my reputation
[friend]: I am trying to just ignore what other people think but it is hard
joe444477: why do they think its any of their business to make sure people dont talk to me?
[friend]: but it is not just you and [someone else]
no they weren't making sure I didn't talk to you
they were just wondering
joe444477: they dont want me in the PB church, or at least want to discourage me from fellowship with them, is what it is

 
At August 23, 2006 5:56 AM, Blogger Terms Of Endearment said...

Joseph,

Don't overreact! But maybe you could ACT. That is to say, don't stop at "venting" in a generalized manner. That does not do any good. If you have been wronged by someone and it bothers you, go to THAT PERSON and confront them in a firm loving way....just a thought.

Anonymous

 
At August 23, 2006 10:06 AM, Blogger Table of Stone said...

Good advice anonymous, this approach always seems to work best.

 
At August 23, 2006 12:02 PM, Blogger gabbie said...

I agree with "anonymous".

Besides, it's what the Bible says to do anyway.
:)

 
At August 23, 2006 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another suggestion:

You can talk about me
Just as much as you please;
I'm gonna talk about you
Down on my knees

Anonymous 2

 
At August 23, 2006 6:36 PM, Blogger joe4444 said...

Anonymous- I appreciate your comment and advice, but I don't know who exactly this person is (or people are). I have suspicions, but I certainly don't want to accuse anyone of guilt based on my assumptions. Either way, I will confess I not feeling quite as frustrated about it right now as I was last night, but this is something that isnt just this one situation, gossip is a serious problem among the PBs, and I for one would like to have it put to rest.

Table- I appreciate the support, but actually its not anyone that I know of from the Jasper area that is like this. Actually yall Jasper folks are really cool to hang out and probably the best PB's, socially, that I've ever met, I can't wait for yall's meeting in November.

 
At August 23, 2006 6:42 PM, Blogger joe4444 said...

and you can talk about me to, just so long as everything you say makes me look really really really good:) lol

Nawill- you see thats the thing, i can talk bad about you and nobody is going to care really (or they'll despise me for it), because you know everybody really well and they'll take it as a joke. Nobody here really, outside of you and maybe a couple others, have known me for over a year. I dont have a problem with people talking about me. I mean you can call me a "backstabbing liberal" or whatever behind my back (even though its not true, lol), and thats fine by me. Its when people actually dont want to talk to me because they are afraid of what it will do to their reputation that really irritates me. But anyway, like I said I'm not quite as heated about it right now as I was last night, so hopefully this post will be eclipsed soon.

 
At August 23, 2006 11:13 PM, Blogger Dani said...

Just reminds me of James 3, too often we don't work hard enough to tame our tongues. It'll get better, don't worry, carry it to the Lord in prayer instead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home