html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> Joe's Blawg: <span style="color: rgb(204, 51, 204);">A day for the future Senator</span>

Joe's Blawg

Nothin' special here. Just ordinary "blawg" conversation from a typical college student striving to glorify Christ with every minute of his life.

Friday, September 15, 2006

A day for the future Senator

Well today was definently one of those days I will remember. For anyone who knows me well, should know that I am a member of the Harold Ford Jr. campaign committee, and will stop at nothing to get Congressman Ford elected to the Senate. A few days ago, I received a phone call on my cellphone from the committee inviting me to a rally this Friday morning that would included pastries, coffee, and more, at 9am at the headquarters. So, since I have no Friday classes, and am not scheduled to work at the time, I decided to attend. Before I get to the events of today, I would like to post a picture from the first time I ever met Congressman Ford.

May 1998:

On an 8th grade field trip to Washington D.C. my entire class heard Congressman Ford speak to them. Afterwards, we got a picture with the Congressman. The picture (from left to right) is of me, Jeff, Derek (my friend who had muscular distrophy, he passed away less than a year after this picture was taken), and Congressman Ford. Please click here for the story on my friendship with Derek.

Friday, September 15, 2006:
So I came to the Ford rally, downed a cup of coffee and half a blueberry muffin, and then the rally began with some guy in which I was unfamiliar with speaking briefly, yet motivationally. Anyway, following his speech, another lady came up to speak. As she was concluding, there was a loud applause from the entrance, and low-and-behold, there was Congressman Ford coming in.


Then Ford gets up at the podium and speaks. And let me tell you, he is one of the best speakers I have ever heard. Being A.D.D., I can hardly listen to someone speak for an hour, but Congressman Ford I could listen to all day long and never get tired. He's very motiving, and even throws in a joke here and there, to maintain the interest and enthusiasm from the audience.
Ford Jr. spoke for about 30-40 minutes. Over to the side, was his father, Harold Ford Sr. (in the bright orange tie, in the center of this photo). Ford Sr. shook my hand when I first entered that morning.
After the campaign speech, there was a crowd of people up at the front trying to get pictures with the Congressman, or speak to him. I fought my way to the front, and asked one of his security guards "will I have an opportunity to get a picture?" and he said "yes, right after this interview." So I watch Ford give a short interview to an unlabeled camera, then continued taking pictures with people. I finally got his attention and asked a man standing by to get a picture of us. He did, but then it turned out very blurry. My initial thoughts are "o well, I'm sure the Congressman is very busy, at least I had an opportunity" so I am about ready to head back to my car. Then the same security guard I talked to before asks me "would you like me to get a picture of you and the Congressman?" I said "yes sir" and then he asked me to go and approach Ford as he posed with another man (you see, most campaign security would have asked me to move along, but Ford and his campaign have always had a good reputation with this kind of kindness, they make sure always to treat their supporters and to allow everyone their opportunity to get pictures with the Congressman). Then Ford asked "are yall two together" (referring to this other man standing next to him and me), I responded "no sir" and Ford said that he would pose for seperate pictures for each of us. I stood aside, then after the other man was done, posed next to Congressman Ford, and......
......after the picture, the security guard handed my camera back to me. I shook his hand and thanked him for the picture.

So that was my morning, one that I will not soon forget. Having the priviledge to meet and get a picture with the Congressman that helped out my friend with muscular distrophy just 8 years ago was more than a blessing. I hope you win Senator Ford, God bless you!!!!

Tonight, concluding the event I experienced at the Ford headquarters, I got together with my family and we looked through all our old pictures for that one of my friend Derek along with Ford. After numerous searching, it finally turned up (thus the first picture in this post). I also happened to find a few old Whitehaven pictures that I want to try to get together for a post in a few days, so please stay tuned for that, it will be worth it. God bless yall.

comments

7 Comments:

At September 16, 2006 2:46 AM, Blogger Girlie said...

This is an awesome story. I hope your senator wins!

 
At September 16, 2006 10:55 AM, Blogger joe4444 said...

Thank you shoshana. Since I don't know you, I assume you may have found me from the comments of one of the Ford Jr./Corker blogs, which is fine, I am always happy to meet new people, or have new people comment on my blog. Thanks for your support, have a great day. ~Joe

 
At September 16, 2006 10:27 PM, Blogger DrSmyth said...

who is that ugly man standing next to you in that last picture??


lol jk

 
At September 18, 2006 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, he's really ugly, i agree, Roy.
:) haha

 
At September 18, 2006 11:12 PM, Blogger joe4444 said...

Just to counter yall (since looks are all that matters in an election race, of course) I would like to point out that I have read from numerous sources about how Harold Ford Jr. has this "pretty boy" look. Here's one example I found:

"Ambitious and stubborn, Ford has been accused of elitist attitudes that may stem from his privileged upbringing and movie-star looks."

Click here for Source

 
At September 18, 2006 11:16 PM, Blogger joe4444 said...

O and just one more thing, that I want to rag on women real quick. Not that I'm saying women shouldn't have the right to vote, but they were given the right when Woodrow Wilson was president. The first election after that, Warren G. Harding won, who was known for his "looks" and, as I have been told, had a lot of "sex-appeal." Well, as everyone who has read a history book knows, he turned out to be one of the most corrupted presidents of all-time, before the year of 2000.

Just a little thing I found rather funny about the whole voting based on "looks." Bredeson for President in 2008!!!

 
At September 20, 2006 11:43 PM, Blogger joe4444 said...

"But more importantly, the ad has achieved the goal of clearly establishing Harold Ford, Jr. as the Christian candidate in this race. Ford being attacked by atheists today (an honor normally reserved for the nutballs of the religious right) seems to demonstrate this."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home