html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> Joe's Blawg: <span style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">Potential for Promotion</span>

Joe's Blawg

Nothin' special here. Just ordinary "blawg" conversation from a typical college student striving to glorify Christ with every minute of his life.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Potential for Promotion

Well for those who know me I work rotating between two of the computer labs at the Univ. of Memphis (the only two 24-hour labs on campus), both operated by the Client Services Department. The entire summer, there's been talk among all of my coworkers of an upcoming vacant position, a student position, thats above the regular Lab Attendants (although at this position you still work in the labs doing the same job, you just have more to do and more responsibility placed on your hands). This is the position of Team Leader, and due to some recent graduations, they decided to hire one or two new Team Leaders before the beginning of the upcoming semester.

So there are four of us applying: Sam, Daniel, KT, and I. We all had interviews scheduled for this past Thursday with our boss and the current Team Leaders. I personally, prior to the interview, hold confidence that I am at least in the top two in the running for this position, with my closest competition being Daniel, but really its anybody's game so nothing is secure. Daniel probably held the best job knowledge, while Sam was the hardest worker. KT had assisted my boss with schedules earlier in the summer, so that got his name in well, and I was the most punctual. I also held the most veteranship among the four of us. All I needed to do was get through this interview without making any mistakes. I was indeed very very nervous, but afterwards felt fairly confident that I had done well. Thursday night was a very long night for me, as I got about 4 hours of sleep before coming in this morning for my 8am-1pm shift. So then comes the big day, Friday, where there is a scheduled training session for all the Lab Attendants in the afternoon and that is when the new Team Leaders will be annouced. Its really anybody's game at this point, all four candidates have a legitmate shot. I, being nervous about it all morning at work, could barely even sit down. So then comes the training, we have to sit through two hours of it (with free pizza and drinks), without knowing, and anxiously waiting this annoucement. After about 6-7 slices of thin crust pepperoni pizza and half a pepsi, and of course a quiz for all the lab attendants testing what we know about the job so far, finally comes the big moment. "For this fall we decided to hire two new Team Leaders, and they are Joe Thompson and Sam Cu......" Then came a round of applause as Sam and I stood up. O what a relief that thats over, now comes the hard part. With my new promotion comes a lot more responsibility and I will be very busy this upcoming fall semester, and probably through the rest of my college career. I guess we'll see how it goes.

God bless.

comments

6 Comments:

At August 25, 2006 11:30 PM, Blogger Setiago said...

Wilt thou be in Smith Hall or the library more often? I'll probably be seeing you around soon.

 
At August 26, 2006 12:04 AM, Blogger joe4444 said...

Yes Seth, I probably will be in Smith and McWherter a lot more, but most of that extra time is when I have to go in there to conduct Lab Evaluations (on the employees working), but still hope to see ya around. I'm working 5-10pm Tue., and 1-5pm Thur. and Fri., all in Smith, but I'm sure I'll plenty in McWherter plenty this semester doing evaluations and other things. Hope to cya around campus.

 
At August 26, 2006 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah!congratulations!

 
At August 27, 2006 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

 
At August 28, 2006 9:18 PM, Blogger LaceyP said...

that's cool...because I can actually picture these places that yall are talking about now...I got to visit the campus yesterday with M and K and Sis. Meliss (ha!)
Congrats Joe...

 
At August 30, 2006 9:00 PM, Blogger Table of Stone said...

congratulations on the promotion! Good luck with the extra workload. Philippians 4: 13

 

Post a Comment

<< Home