html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"> Joe's Blawg: Pride and Prejudice

Joe's Blawg

Nothin' special here. Just ordinary "blawg" conversation from a typical college student striving to glorify Christ with every minute of his life.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Pride and Prejudice

Well just before the GC meeting I finished reading my first Jane Austen book, Pride and Prejudice, so I think I'll discuss it here. If anyone has not read the book or seen any of the movies, please DO NOT read this post. I'll try not to give away too much of the ending, but no guarantees.

I must say I probably wasn't as fond of Mr. Darcy as most. Granted he did turn out to be quite a genuine character, I still don't think he fully explained out all of his pride and arrogance. And really I think I would have gone to more of an effort to gain family approval before requesting Elizabeth's hand in marriage (eg. the situation with his aunt, Lady Catherine, and of course Mrs. Bennett wasn't too fond of him either). Funny how all the girls, assuming any read this, will be down my throat about this particular opinion.

One character I did like was Mr. Bingley. Of course he was a little boring, and didnt take much of a role in the book, but I liked how he had more family support as far as his marriage with Jane. The only problem, I think, was Bingley's sister, but of course that could easily be forgived within time. And she didnt even have a problem with Jane, it was Elizabeth she didnt like.

Everyone is so quick to criticize characters like Lydia and Mr. Collins. Personally I made an effort to look at the brighter aspects of these characters. Lydia I still cant stand, when she was bragging about her "good fortune" of her marriage to Mr. Wickham, I just wanted to smack her and tell her to shut up and that she's thrown her life away. As for Mr. Collins, I really think he made an effort to be a good person, but I lost a lot of respect for him when he proposed marriage to Elizabeth, and even more when he proposed to Caroline. But still, he seemed to remain a good and friendly character threw the book despite having a very unusual taste about him.

So now I need to go watch the movie (the 6 hour one), which I'll probably do in the next day or two. Following that I'll probably start reading Sense and Sensibility.

God bless,
Joe

comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home